Re: Diald Setup

Russell Rademacher writes:
> Well... from the documenations, it seems that diald.options, and
> diald.conf is missing.

What version of diald do you have (dpkg -s diald to find out)?  I have
0.16.5-3 and it is complete (this version needs no diald.conf).

> So... is there some areas that need to be configured beside diald to
> make the system work properly?

ppp.

> I am sort of lost here and I am considering un-installing the diald and
> do a installation by source instead to make it work since the debianized
> version do not work...

I suggest that you try re-installing the diald package.  Diald.options should
not be missing from /etc/diald.

> ...and the documenations from the diald's website says quite a few things
> differently here as well.

The diald web page may be assuming a Slackware or Red Hat system and/or a
different version of diald.  Diald is well documented in the diald man page
and in /use/doc/diald.

Try reinstalling diald.  If that doesn't fix the missing files, contact the
maintainer (Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org>).  Once you have a complete
installation, get ppp working (suggest pppconfig) and edit
/etc/diald/diald.options to look something like this:

# /etc/diald/diald.options
#
# Edit to match your set up.
#
# This is the port the modem is connected to.
# *** MODIFY to match your set up ***
device /dev/ttyS2

# diald log file: do not change.
accounting-log /var/log/diald.log

# diald monitoring pipe: do not change.
fifo /var/run/diald.fifo

# This turns on full debugging.
debug 77

# We have PPP
mode ppp

# Changed IP JGH.
local 10.0.0.1
# IP number for the provider's machine. This is different each time we connect.
# This is not a problem, but it'll make the routine table look funny.
# Changed IP JGH.
remote 10.0.0.2
netmask 255.0.0.0

# If the connection gets broken from the ISP, redial only
# if there's outgoing traffic from our side.
two-way

# When the link's up, change routes to point to the real link
# instead of the proxy.
reroute

# diald should set a default route to the proxy SLIP link.
defaultroute

# These two scripts must be executable.
#ip-up /etc/diald/ip-up
#ip-down /etc/diald/ip-down

# Scripts used to bring up/shut down the serial line.
connect "chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/provider"
# disconnect "/etc/ppp/ppp-disconnect"

# Do UUCP locking.
lock

# We connect through a modem.
modem
crtscts

# Local tweaking
connect-timeout 90
dial-fail-limit 2
died-retry-count 0

include /etc/diald/standard.filter
dynamic
pppd-options debug noauth user jghasler ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)