Re: Resizing ext2 filesystems

Max schrieb:

> I have a problem in that I'm quickly running out of space in /usr but
> I have tons of space left in /home.  Here's what df shows:
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1               497667     35357    436608   7% /
> /dev/sda5               497667    385312     86653  82% /var
> /dev/sda6              2478138   2271514     78508  97% /usr
> /dev/sda7              4616953    643170   3734818  15% /home
>
> Obviously, I didn't estimate the filesystem sizes correctly to begin
> with.  At this poit, does anyone know of a way to resize them so that
> some of the space from /dev/sda7 can be added to /dev/sda6?  I have
> heard of "resize2fs" but it appears that it's not available other than
> as part of Partition Magic.  Is there anything else out there?

Hello Max,

i think you don't need Partition Magic.

If my calculations are correct it looks as if it would be possible to
copy all files from /dev/sda6 to /dev/sda7 (with copy -dpR) and then you
have to change your fstab. After testing if everything is ok you may
even go further and do the reverse with /home on /dev/sda7. In any case
it is a good idea to have a Linux Boot-Disk prepared and tested. A
backup too is advisable before changing your system.

Not long ago i was in about the same situation and after reading and
testing it worked fine for me.

enjoy linux

Bernd Mayer

PS: You are responsible for your files by yourself.