Re: Cheapbytes CDs

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro Guerreiro <pguerreiro@bigfoot.com>
To: Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>; dan@debian.org <dan@debian.org>
Date: Wednesday, April 14, 1999 7:35 PM
Subject: Re: Cheapbytes CDs

>On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 02:41:07PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
>>
>> "Assad Khan" wrote:
>>
>> > I got Debian 2.1 slink from Cheapbytes a few weeks back. base2_1.tgz is
>> > corrupted, even though I got a 4 CD set. So now I dont have Linux
>> > installed on my second hard drive at all! :-((
>>
>> A friend had a problem installing base2_1.tgz from my Cheapbytes
>> 4 CD set (I only upgraded).  However, I note that it appears to
>> match a version on the Debian site:
>
>Well, that's two of us :). A friend of mine also had problems installing
slink
>from the Cheapbytes CDs (exactly the same problem: base2_1.tgz was
corrupted)
>UNTIL we find out that the problems was not the CDs, but the memory: he had
two
>64Mb DIMMs. When he removed one of them, he could start installing slink,
but
>then it just froze after he reboot the system with a kernel panic error.
>Everything was smoothly when he changed to four 32Mb DIMMs.
>
>As you can see, sometimes the problem isn't the media, but something else.
>
>just my 2 cents.
>--
>Pedro Guerreiro (aka digito)    (pguerreiro@bigfoot.com)
>Diplomacy: the art of letting someone have your own way.

Hmmm......I have had problems with my memory. My brother (who owns the
buisness where I get my computers) gave me the wrong chip. I had a brand new
system, but the 128mb memory was from March 1998, even though my motherboard
and everything is from 1999.

Looks like I should keep my new redhat cds in the box after all :-)

Thanks,

Assad Khan