Modem troubles

greetings all...

i've been having a blast with 2.1 but have run into some troubles with two
modems...

one is an internal zoom faxmodem 56k dual mode.....

i was trying to do the basix as the modem howto explains with
kermit....the modem is found with setserial and i set it up with kermit
but upon initialization it complains about initializing data correction
and compression?!?!?  i can't talk directly to the modem, by issuing a
connect at the kermit prompt.....so i have to escape...
back at the kermit prompt i ask it to dial for me and it does, sort of...

i can hear it dial, and the computer on the other end pick up.....(oh that
lovely static) then my modem appears to do nothing...and then it either
times out or complains about no carrier....

i'm at my wit's end....any advice......?
the modem is found at /dev/ttyS2 if that helps any....

oh yeah and can anyone point me to where i can get info on using an
internal modem on a compaq 1680? if it is at all possible.....

tia,

jd