sony vaio 505 cdrom linux install problems

I'm trying to install from the debian GNU/Linux release 2.1 CDROM.

The CDROM is the Sony PCGA-CD5, the vaio-branded PCMCIA CDROM.

The Vaio boots from the CDROM with the Linux install CD in it, and
starts the installation - but when it gets to the "Install Base OS
Kernal" step, it asks me where the CDROM is, then fails to mount it no
matter which of the many choices I give it (SCSI, IDE ctrl 1-4, device
1-2).

Somewhere I read that at the boot prompt you have to type something like
"linux ide2=0x170,0x376".  I looked in my windows 98 ctonrol panel,
system, device manager, hard disk controllers, second ide controller,
and found the settings for it: 0x170, 0x 376, IRQ 15.

I typed them in at the boot prompt: linux ide2=0x170,0x376,0xf

but I got the same behavior as before, ie it can't mount the cd rom
during the install.

Anybody have answers, hints?  Thanks....
--
Mr. Lindsay Morris
lmorris@openmic.com