Re: AGP video for Linux?

>      Personally, I don't even know what AGP video is, so I am
> forwarding this to the debian-user mailing list.
>
> Bob
>
> Erik Olsen <OlsenE@MarketDay.com> writes:
>

> > I was wondering if AGP video is supported by Linux yet.  I did not see it on
> > the list of compatable devices/bus archetectures but was just curious.

AGP is a variation on the PCI bus specially for video cards.  If you
want to know if a video card is supported, you have to check out the
XFree86 compatibility.  Usually if a certain card or chip set is
supported, the AGP version is supported, so you can use it in X.  If you
are in doubt about a certain card, just ask around on the various
mailing lists and news groups.  If you want to use a card right now, it
is usually a bad idea to pick one that is only going to be supported
`real soon now'.

Another matter is support of the specific feature that AGP was meant
for: storing textures in main memory and sending them to the video card
at high transfer rates.  I don't know if there is any support for that.

HTH,
Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)