Re: Help! Kernel woes.

William R Pentney <pentney@cse.Buffalo.EDU> writes:

> On 15 Apr 1999, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> It is a Dayna PCI card, for 10baseT networks. I used the PCI NE2000 option
> with success when I installed it. It also worked when I attempted to
> install a 2.0.34 kernel (which unfortunately did not accept my
> SoundBlaster 16 - it's a PnP, so I wanted to go for the 2.2 kernel that
> has the PnP support.)

Hmm. I am runnig 2.2.5 with NE2K PCI and Rtl8139 nics w/o
problems. You mention 2.0.34... Which version of Debian do you have?
Could it be that you need to upgrade some of the stuff on your system
in order to use 2.2.x? Have you checked against the compatibility
table?

> Did all of that, and it was set up with correct IRQ and all, but I still
> couldn't use /dev/audio. It is, as mentioned, a PnP. Should I use the
> mysterious "isapnptools" package?

Don't know. I usually turn off pnp feature on any piece of hardware
that I buy. Sorry, never used the isapnptools.

I had problems with /dev/audio and /dev/dsp untill I changed their
ownership to root.audio and added myself to audio group. Do you hear
the card initialize at the system startup? Does it produce a popping
noise? (mine does :))

Do you see any warning messages at startup saying that there's
trouble with initializing the sound card? Here's what you should be
getting:

Apr 15 00:51:04 main kernel: Sound initialization started
Apr 15 00:51:04 main kernel: <Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x220 irq 7 dma 1,5
Apr 15 00:51:04 main kernel: <Sound Blaster 16> at 0x330 irq 7 dma 0
Apr 15 00:51:04 main kernel: Sound initialization complete

--
Arcady Genkin
"I opened up my wallet, and it's full of blood..." - GsYDE