Re: Emacs on non-X machine

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 03:26:11PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> > Hmmm, according to
> > http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/editors/emacs20.html emacs20
> > does depend on xlib which depends on xfree86-common.

> According to dselect it doesn't.  The Depends line I showed you was copied
> directly from it.

The dselect line apparently doesn't wordwrap very well:

Package: emacs20
Section: editors
Installed-Size: 26299
Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
Version: 20.3-7
Provides: emacsen, info-browser, mail-reader, news-reader, www-browser
Depends: emacsen-common, liblockfile0, libc6, liblockfile0 (>= 0.1-1),
libncurses4, xlib6g (>= 3.3-5)
Suggests: emacs20-el
Conflicts: emacs20-el (<< 20.3-7), w3-el
 GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text editor.

It certainly seems easier to have only the one binary package (less
bother figuring out why X doesn't work and remembering to update
whenever X works) and one might argue that at a mere 3 megs the X
libs are inconsequential when one is installing Emacs.

Navindra, I suggest you file a wishlist bug against Emacs if it's
really important to you (search around to see if you can find
previous discussion first).

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/