Re: MICROSOFT BS FUD

On 1999-04-14 18:14, Christopher J. Morrone wrote:

> Of course, its not likely that anyone in the free software movement will
> be able to verify the results, because they used pretty expensive
> machinery.  A four processor Xeon as the server, and 144 pentium test
> nodes with ethernet switches.

Maybe the results are correct - Linux is still _relatively_ weak with
respect to SMP, no?  I mean, if Linux get's 40% juice out of a 4-way
at this point (40% is a bogus number trying to illustrate that Linux
doesn't scale linear with # of CPUs).

How much _sense_ does it make to have a 4 way machine serve pages
versus 4 single cpu (rack) machines plus a db box that can carry it?
Do web servers typically need to share information that isn't stored
in a datbase anyways?  What does 4+1 headless machines cost versus a 4
way box?  The cheastest box is $299 these days, I've heard.  How many
nodes does the big guys use (Lycos, Yahoo, Hotbot, CNN etc)?

Just curious if anyone had some into to bring to the table...

/Allan
--
Allan M. Wind			Phone: 	781.938.5272 (home)
687 Main St., 2nd fl.		Fax: 	781.938.6641 (fax/modem)