Re: compiling kernel

> On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Pollywog wrote:

> Building the kernel the "standard" way is fine in Debian.  I did it for
> almost 2 years before recently switching to the 'make-kpkg' method.
> Make-kpkg is really nice, and quite easy.  It turns the newly compiled
> kernel into a .deb file, which you can easily install.  It will make sure
> things like the system map file get put in the right place, and other
> handly little details like that.

I have been hand-building the kernel for a while now, but decided to try
using make-kpkg today. It seemed to work well, but I have a couple of
questions:

How are the header files handled? I made the kernel-headers deb and
installed it, but the files in /usr/include/asm, linux, etc. did not get
updated. Do you have to do something special to get them to install
correctly? Also, according to the kernel source README there should be
symlinks into the the source tree, but it looks like Debian does it
differently -- there are no symlinks. How does this work when you upgrade a
kernel?

How are modules made and installed using make-kpkg? I had to manually make
and install them. I tried "make-kpkg buildpackage", "make-kpkg
modules_config", "make-kpkg modules", but the modules where never built
until I did "make modules; make modules_install" in the
/usr/src/linux-2.2.5 directory.

Thanks!
Andrew