Re: compiling kernel

On Wednesday 14 April, Pollywog wrote:

> If I need to upgrade a kernel on a Debian system, can I do it in the
> same way as it is done with other distributions or is there some
> obscure Debian way to do this?

you can do it the standard way (and I did it this way for months), or
you can follow the advice of many on this list and try the make-kpkg
utility.

I now use make-kpkg every time. I don't really understand that much of
what make-kpkg is capable of, but I use it to make .deb kernel packages
(which I can then install on several boxes without needing to faff
around copying all sorts of files around).

I do something like this;

  % cd /usr/src/linux
  % make-kpkg clean
  % make xconfig
  % make-kpkg --revision mykernel.1 kernel_image

It then makes a package in /usr/src. Job's a good'un...

--
Graham