Re: APT setup (was: Re: An idea...)

Mitch Blevins wrote:

> In foo.debian-user, you wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Mitch Blevins wrote:
> > >
> > > Try http://non-us.debian.org/debian as the URL.
> > >

> > Thanks, Mitch. It works, and I happily have ssh. I'm still curious,
> > though:  why is non-US called a distribution in apt, when it is in fact a
> > component? Is this historical or what?
>
> I don't really know, Luis.  It seems confusing to me, and picking it
> from the distribution menu in dselect (apt-method) would create a
> wrong sources.list line, if I grok the directory layout correctly.
>
> But I've been wrong before (once or twice).
> You may want to ask this question on debian-devel, or file a bug against
> dselect if you think it is really a bug.  I never really used dselect
> to build a sources.list line (until just now), so I never noticed this
> before.  Maybe there is a good reason for it. *shrugs*

Hmmm, I'm not sure where you guys are coming from. I use:
http://conan.eecg.toronto.edu/debian-non-US as the site, slink as the distribution,
and non-US as the component and it works just dandy. I'm guessing the above which you
guys are using works because of symlinks.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com