More X windows problems

Ok here goes:

After getting logged back into the system, and removing the xdm and xfs from
my RC's I now have additional problems.

I am using a Microsoft Intellimouse with the wheel thingie. So when run
xf86config that is what I chose. Also, I ran gpm-mouse-test and it says that
it is on /dev/psaux  and protocol "ps2". The video is SiS 5597/5598 and the
monitor is DB-1765 (and I stole the HFreq and VFreq from my Win 98 driver
settings. Here is where things get weird.

If I run SuperProbe and then startx I get an Xwindows desktop to come up
very big and very ugly. However, Ctrl-Alt-kpd+  doesn't seem to change the
video mode. The mouse seems to want to stay in the upper left hand corner of
the screen and every time you try to move it, it keeps going back there.
Also, once I get back out of X I can see the error messages from starting it
and the is a message that it can't do something with the fd of the
/dev/psaux due to some kind of inappropriate ioctl. That is the gist of he
message, I'll need to copy it down and type it in some time but it was about
2 am and I just had to get some sleep.

On the other hand, if I don't run SuperProbe, when I run startx the monitor
makes a sound like it would like to switch modes, then the monitor light
turns from green to amber signifying that it is powered down. Sometimes I
can type exit or do ctrl-alt-F2 or ctrl-bksp and get back to a screen where
I can type however the mode is so messed up, that it reminds me of the old
days in the commodore world or even the early ibmpc days where you were in
text mode but the adapter wasn't.

I am using slink, I think, from CheapBytes.  And I DLed XFree86 3.3.3.1 from
XFree86.org to get the support of the SiS 5597/5598 card.

I am really open to suggestions...

Bradley