Re: Question about recompiling kernel ...

Of course, you COULD solve all of this with kernel-packages, which makes
the prospective kernel into a .deb file for easy installation.  The
zImage/bzImage problem is solved by kernel-package: IIRC it uses the
Debian standard bzImage by preference, but either way, it works so well
that there's no need other than curiosity to know which image you're
using.

On 13 Apr 1999, Arcady Genkin wrote:

> William R Pentney <pentney@cse.Buffalo.EDU> writes:
>
> > I'm currently compiling the 2.2 kernel for my slink system (it's
> > relatively stable, right?), and I used "make bzImage" to create it. The
> > README says to copy zImage to the current kernel image, but should I copy
> > bzImage instead? (I just want to be sure before I do it ... the
> > documentation's a little vague on it.)
>
> That's why you should usually do "make zImage". "make bzImage" is
> needed if the zImage turns out to be too big, or if you want to put
> the image onto a floppy. In other words, bzImage is compressed more
> than zImage.
>
> So, AFAIK you can use bzImage just the same way as zImage. Don't
> forget to update your /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the right name. If
> this is your first kernel compile then you probably have an image named
> vmlinuz in your lilo.conf. Change that for zImage.
>
> Then *IMPORTANT* don't forget to run lilo before you restart - or you
> won't be able to boot. (Sorry if I am saying obvious things here, but
> it's a common mistake).
>
> --
> Arcady Genkin
> "I opened up my wallet, and it's full of blood..." - GsYDE
>

> --

Razors pain you;
	Rivers are damp.
	Acids stain you,