Re: Cheapbytes Debian 2.1

OK, here is some notes on Cheapbytes Debian 2.1

The first binary CD is the one to use. The second CD is a smaller
kernel and software set for laptops. So use the first. Just boot
off of the CD and select the defaults for the directories under
source media. Some will complain that they do not exist. That is
okay.
All we are interested in is the main i386 for now.

I used the scientific workstation selection as a base. Then I removed
a few packages that I did not need. Keep in mind that the libraries
and programs for X are not absolutely current. I use Window Maker and
upgraded it to .51 from .20. Note that Window Maker is stable, fast,
and easy to install. Although KDE 1.1 is easy too. KDE 1.1 is not on
the CD either!  I really like Enlightenment but the version on the
CD is too old.

I used to run Redhat. Redhat has some hacks that I do not like.
For example, using Window Maker it always overwrites the Gnustep
config in your local directly. Redhat is ok if you don't like to
configure hands on, but in my opinion it is a hack. Debian is much
easier to configure and really use. The development enviro is better
under Debian. I had problems with Perl/Tk on Redhat. It goes on.

When you are ready to configure your sound you need to recompile
the kernel. Don't panic its easy with Debian. I always compile a
kernel anyway. Since you may be missing your module source you will
keep the usr/lib/module/ directory of modules. Just do a depmod -a
after building a new kernel. Maybe your CD was corrected. I received
one of the first. If your module source is there after untarring
the /usr/src/kernel.src.gz then ignore this.

To config your printer just run magicfilter. It works.

Don't forget to make your audio devs with 'makedev audio'.
Buy the way I got gqmpeg to work and the skins. The mpg123 decoder
is very fast. But I downloaded all this from the net to get the
latest
versions. I use the tkmixer. I works very well.

I also have the new zip drive interface working with the imm.o
module.

So, sound works, printer works, X works, Zip Drive works,
Perl/Tk works :-).

Anyway thats a start.

Rob
Bluestar Ranch