Re: Document processing? (TeX/SGML?)

> Quoting Jeff Noxon (jeff@planetfall.com):
> > What tools can tackle this kind of chore and what are their relative
> > merits?  Should I be looking at TeX or SGML tools?  Or should I just stick
> > with plain HTML?

> I would look into using LyX.  It's a frontend for LaTeX.

Not any more :)  Now it functions in its own right, and generates
latex.  The next major release (1.2 or 2.0, not clear yet) will support
other formats directly, we think.  Such as html, sgml, who-knows-what.

>It's pseudo-WYSIWYG

Nope.  It's WYSIWYM -- what you MEAN.  No effort to mimic the actual
printed output is made.  Instead, it tries to make the content clear.

> but still gives you great(better that Word) looking
> documents.

oh, yes!  And it beats the tar out of equation editor--you can actually
write & edit equations.  I'd hung on to word 5 on mac for it's
typesetting commands, which were pulled from 6 (thanks, bill).  I'll
still take word 5 on a 16mhz 030 over the current versions on the
latest processors.  But after a couple of equations of lyx, I switched
to linux & bought a k6 box.  Yes, seriously, lyx is why i switched from
mac to linux.  It's *that* useful.

What I wasn't planning at the time was to add features myself, but
that's the way it goes :)

> You can then use scripts to convert the output to any(almost)
> format you would like.

these tend to have names like  tex2pdf  or whatever--firstformat, 2,
then second format (though there are a cople of non-conforming programs
out there.