Re: mount partition or disk

Jiri Baum:
> > is there an easy (or canonical) way of (auto)detecting whether a disk is
> > partitioned, please?
> >
> > What I have is a SCSI magneto-optical disk drive (230MB removable disks)
> > and a bunch of disks. With some of the disks, I need to mount /dev/sda1,
> > with others /dev/sda directly.

ktb (kent):
> This is a little out of my league but could you use cfdisk?

I don't see how...

cfdisk and fdisk are interactive programs for manipulating partitions; if
the disk is not partitioned, they read rubbish from the disk and let me
manipulate that. If I accidentally save it, I've probably just destroyed
the filesystem.

(Maybe I wasn't clear in my original mail; my problem isn't a blank disk
that I want to partition; my problem is a box of disks full of data, some
of which are partitioned like hard disks, others formatted in one piece
like floppies.)

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently