Re: POP3 Server in LAN?

Bob Nielsen wrote (on 12 Apr 99, at 11:37):

> drwxrwsr-x   2 root     mail         1024 Jan 25 16:03 pop
>
> qpopper created this with the right permissions.  /etc/inetd.conf should
> specify that qpopper is run by root, so you shouldn't be getting the
> error:
>
> pop-3           stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.qpopper

Thanks for your interest, Bob!

Check-OK on the permissions. My inetd.conf line is also same as
yours, but ... if I understand it correctly, the man page says once
the POP3 connection is authenticated (which mine is--a wrong password
gets me a whole different error), qpopper changes its ID from root to
the incoming POP user. Anyway, a couple of people have answered now
who seem to have the same setup and no problems, but I still get this
stupid error. I guess this is the famous Linux being picky about who
its friends are.

Tony

--
-- Tony Crawford