Re: LyX 1.0 for slink?

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 05:22:51PM -0400, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> You know, I tried almost exactly this but bailed when one of the
> commands wanted root priviledges and then started doing some
> unexpected /usr/bin/install's (which failed because my
> /usr/bin/install is atypical).  I mean, all I wanted was to build a
> package to generate a .deb not *install* it or do *anything* that
> would require root privileges.

It doesn't really require root - install fakeroot and use "-rfakeroot"
when building.  It thinks it needs root to set the ownership of files to
root (among other things), but in actual fact dpkg will do the right thing
without.  I gather it's a legacy

What package building does is very much like installing using a tool
like stow - you build the package, and then install it into its own
directory tree.  This usually uses whatever procedures the package uses,
so a lot of times install is involved.  After this the appropriate wands
are waved to pull everything into .debs and source package.

Take a look at the developer's reference and other maintainer
documentation - most of this stuff is documented or pointed to, but the
information isn't pushed at users.

> > Personally I always found dpkg easier than RPM for building packages,
> > but perhaps it's just me.

> IIRC all it took to build SRPMS is one single rpm command.

I know, but I never felt like I was in control.  It also seemed very
attached to using /usr/src and leaving files around there.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/