Re: Symbolic links behaviour

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 04:11:34PM +0200, Ruben Leote Mendes wrote:
> Hello James,
> > Umm, perhaps I'm missing somthing, but I once had to do a similar thing.  I
> > simply mounted the new partition in /hdd2, and created symlinks
> > /home->/hdd2/home, /usr/local->/hdd2/usr/local.  Nested symlinks are
>
> Yes, that works ok. But now try the following:
['..' dosn't go where you expected it to sometimes.]
> The problem seems to be that the ../tmp in the link is interpreted as
> pointing to (in your case) /hdd2 and not to / as I was expecting.
My solution was to just deal with it at that point.  I don't think relying
on /usr/.. being / is quite sane.  Then again, reading that I don't think
that sentance is quite sane.

> Please let me know the result of the above commands.
I would, but that system has since died, and the drive containing / and
/hdd2 is not quite sane. Insanity rules the drives of the dead Jennifer.
Long live Jennifer!

	-=- James Mastros,
		Who is laughing his shoes off.

--
"My friend Data: You see the world with the wonder of a child, and that
makes you more human then any of us."