Re: Setup questions -- HELP!!

Jim Campbell wrote:

>  Hello, everyone -- Getting to know Debian Linux has been fun, but I
> haven't gotten as far as I would have liked with setup.  Here are my
> issues.  Can someone help? - Can't run X-windows I successfully ran
> the XF86Setup utility, and got it to display and recognize my mouse (a
> PS/2 style mouse, on /dev/psaux).  However, I can't get anywhere with
> configuring the X Server.  I am using an ELSA Gloria Synergy graphics
> card with an Optiquest Q71 Color monitor.  ELSA Gloria-8 and ELSA
> Gloria 4.  It said that I would have to load the xserver-s3 choice
> with either choice.  I did, but the program now complains that it
> can't connect to the X Server.  The same thing happens when I simply
> run "X".  Should I have taken either of these choices?  What is the
> procedure here? - Ethernet card I want to run DHCP client from my home
> system to connect to my cable modem.  How can I tell if my system is
> recognizing the Ethernet card?  I don't see it listed among the
> startup messages, unless it is buried in some obscure message.  It is
> a Realtek RTL8029 Ethernet Adapter at IRQ 09, I/O address 18C0h -
> 18DFh.  It all runs fine from Windows 98. - DHCP client The DHCP
> client software won't configure properly when it is installed.
> However, it doesn't tell me what went wrong.  Where can I find this
> out?  I realize I need to enter information about the DHCP server,
> which I do not have yet.  Once I get it, where does it get
> entered? Any help I can get on any of these topics would be terrific.
> Thank you!- Jim

If you're email client has an option to ask if you want to send plain
text or styled, you might choose plain text when sending to this list;
some of us only use plain-text readers.

About your issues, I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough on the DHCP
or ethernet issue, although I VAGUELY remember a comment some time back
about the dhcp package not being what's needed on a client machine, but
rather the dhcpd package was needed. Or something. You might want to
research that a bit.

About your X system, I suggest you re-run XF86Setup (or alternatively
use the text-based xf86config utility); rename your existing
/etc/X11/XF86Config file so 1) you have a backup, and 2) XF86Setup will
start off with "clean" defaults.

First go-round, be conservative; just choose the Generic VGA server, and
set your resolution to VGA mode. Then double-check the first line of
/etc/X11/Xserver to make sure it references XF86_VGA16. Then, as a
normal user (not root), run "startx".

If this works, then re-run XF86Config and this time choose the correct
server and settings you want. When you get to the resolution, select the
one you want and all the lower resolutions. Again, check to make sure
the first line of /etc/X11/Xserver points to your server (XF86_S3?).
Then run "startx" again.

Hopefully this will help.