fdisk problem

I recently tried to install debian on a win98 system.
Did all the usual stuff, defrag, scandisk, fips, install.bat.
As alway everything run perfectly, but this time there where problems with
partitioning the harddrive. The partitioning program that comes with the
bootfloppy, cdisk or something, just bugged out saying that it encountered
a error. I switch virtual console and ran fdisk and tried to add a new
partition. It didnt work, fdisk complained about the logical and physical
offsets, or something, was not the same. And that there were no free
sectors, however when i printed the partition table, I saw the win95
partition and a chunk of free space.
Any ideas?
/nisse