Re: Xauth, how to get rid of it?

Ben Messinger hat gesagt: // Ben Messinger wrote:

> Pollywog wrote:
> >
> > I get those annoying MAGIC COOKIE warnings when I su from a regular user and
> > this even happens when I use vim after 'su'.  I am still able to edit stuff,
> > and the only problem is when I need to run some X program as superuser.
> > I saw somewhere how to deal with this Xauth stuff, but I don't remember where.
> I am also having the same trouble. I didn't see a reply to Andrew's
> question, so I wanted to add that I am also interested in solving this
> one. I never encountered this problem when I was using other (lesser)
> distributions. Please help if you know the answer. There are some tools
> like gnome-apt that I would like to use without having to end my
> x-session and start a new one as root.

Some of this is described in this HOWTO: /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Remote-X-Apps.gz

When you log into X, be it with xdm or startx, and then "su" to root, root is
considered kind of remotely logged in and she is *NOT* allowd to mess your
screen with windows. That's a feature. The most simlpe solution is to use
ssh instead of su.

Usage of xauth is described in the HOWTO. You also can search the
mailing list archives at www.debian.org, as this question came up often in
the past.

Bye,
--