[no subject]

Sean  <snmjohnson@iclub.org> wrote:

> I've been thinking about giving emacs a look see, [..] This thing is
> HUGE. [..] for me to download 10 or 25MB worth of text editor, this
> thing better do everything except mop the floor.

"David Z. Maze" <dmaze@donut.mit.edu> replied, telling that Emacs can
be used for virtually anything, and that it provides wonderful tools
for program development e.g. in C. I fully agree. At the end of his
reply he writes:

> (not flaming)  I don't use Emacs for *everything*.  Mail, news,
> coding, TeX, it's wonderful, but from day-to-day text editing it is
> kind of big and huge.  Yay vim.  :-)

On the other hand, I find one of the advantages of Emacs, that you can
do every kind of editing, so that it is not necesary to get used to
another editor. And once you have installed Emacs in your computer,
why not utilise the 10 to 25 megs as much as possible. On current
state-of-the-art computers, and even on computers that were
state-of-the-art a few years ago, Emacs is not notably slower than any
other editor, and once you are used to the Emnacs commands, they are
not harder than the commands of any other editor (on the contrary, I
would say). Therefore I start Emacs routinely during login and use it
for everything that involves editing. It is only a pity that I have up
to now not been successfull to let Emacs mob my floor or wash my
dishes.

Paul Huygen