Re: setting up DNS

Lev Lvovsky <levl289@ucla.edu writes:
>At Sunday 05:03 PM 4/11/99 , dyer wrote:
>>Lev Lvovsky wrote:
>>

>>> my ADSL provider is mminternet.com, and my address is
>>> silver168.mminternet.com (the IP is listed above).
>>
>>You've answered your own question here.... mminternet.com _is_ the domain,
>>silver168
>>is only a machine on the domain. You don't register each machine.
>
>hrm, maybe there's still something that i'm missing...let's say I want to
>register www.linuxnewbie.com (just an example), and have it point to my
>machine (silver168).  The ADSL provider provides me with a static IP, so I
>figured this'd be possible (plus a friend of mine with the same setup did
>it)...

I've been recently tackling this whole issue in preparation for registering
a domain. So as always, may others gently correct my errors.

To register a domain, you need two things: a static IP address, and two
nameservers. Virtual host providers give you a static IP on their machine,
and if you have a high-speed connection you may use your own. Generally the
host provider runs the required nameservers; you *can* run your own if you
need/want to, but if you have to ask why you want it, you probably don't
need it. So for most people, the pair of nameservers you give are whatever
names your provider tells you to use.

(Naturally, any high-speed connection you run personally should be protected
by at *least* a simple firewall. A tool called Mason can help the novice
user with firewall configuration. Good passwords that aren't trivially
guessable should be used and changed regularly on the firewall machine. Fast
connections are a rich target for enterprising script kiddies and the (very)
occasional malicious attacker. See www.opensec.net/tools.html for lots of
powerful tools which may be used for good or ill. Those interested in the
security issues are encouraged to spawn this message to a separate thread.)

-i

--
they're gonna tell you where to walk, when to smile and just what to say | they
say have your own fun,  make your own mind but don't make no waves |  but i got