Kernel compilation

Hello,

I am currently using Debian 2.0 with kernel 2.0.34. I downloaded the
patch files and patched the kernel source to 2.0.36. No problems
encountered during the patching. Even appled the debian patch.

Then I used make menuconfig and set up all the options that I needed
including kerneld support. Sound was included as a module along with
serial, ne, isofs, vfat. Used "make-kpkg --zimage kernel_image" to
compile the kernel. Kernel compilation was smooth and I had the
kernel_image.deb ready for installation. I installed it and ran lilo.
Before rebooting, I edited the /etc/modules file and commented out the
couple of problems:

1. kerneld gets started and is not able to load modules like ne.
   Doing it manually with modprobe works. Should not kerneld do it
   automatically? Have I misunderstood the writeup on it?

2. When make-kpkg created a kernel_image.deb, I found that not all
   the modules I had set were there. For example, for sound I had
   put in as modules opl3, mad16, midi, etc. All of those files
   are there in the source tree, but do not come in the modules
   directory after compilation. Anything else that needs to be setup
   to get them there?

3. Even though there is a sound.o file in /lib/modules/2.0.36/misc,
   "modprobe sound" says "can't locate module sound". What is wrong?

sridhar

Sridhar M. A.
Department of Physics
University of Mysore, Manasagangotri