Re: libstdc++2.9-dev/libc6-dev incompatibility?

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 14:11:10 -0700, Maria Lynn Jason Rightley wrote:
> To use the new kernel within the framework of the stable distribution,
> I had to upgrade certain specific packages to the unstable, primarily
> netbase and sysutils.  Netbase and sysutils depended on libc6 and
> libncurses4, and libc6 depended on apt.
>
> We also included libc6-dev, because we didn't think that we could compile
> the kernel without it.

The kernel doesn't use the C library; you shouldn't need libc6-dev to
compile the kernel.

> Finally, we got the kernel source for 2.2.1 in order to be able to compile
> the kernel.

I'd strongly recommend you use "kernel-package" to build from a more recent
upstream kernel source like 2.2.5-ac6.

> That all went okay.  The problem is that I want to be able to use g77.
> g77 depends on g++, which depends on libstdc++2.9-dev.  Specifically,
> if I try to add g77 in dselect, the dependency list includes
> libstdc++2.9-dev, and the specific dependency list for it reads as follows:
>
> g++ depends on libstdc++2.9-dev (>= 2.91.60)
> libstdc++2.9-dev suggests stl-manual
> libc6-dev conflicts with libstdc++2.9-dev
> libstdc++2.9-dev depends on libc6-dev
>
> which indicates that libstdc++2.9-dev both conflicts with and depends
> on libc6-dev -- I have no clue how to solve that.

You'll need to update to "unstable"'s g++ and g77, and use
libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1-dev rather than libstdc++2.9 .

HTH,
Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.