Re: too big packages?

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, virtanen wrote:

> Anyone knows a cheap way to get debian packages, which are too big for a
> floppy to a computer, which isn't networked and has got only a cdrom
> driver and a floppy disk driver? Is it possible to  'pkzip' deb-packages
> in a dos-machine to make them smaller and 'unzip' them in the
> debian-machine?

A number of compression utilities have the ability to split archives into
floppy-sized parts.  The one that I have used most recently is RAR, which
comes in both Linux and DOS flavors.  (I got a copy from a cohort of mine,
so I don't know where you would find it.)  Note that I was using RAR for
its multivolume capability, not its compression.

I have also been known, in the past, to write short C programs to split a
file up into parts that can be sneakernetted on floppy and then can be
COPYed or cat'ed back into the original file.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/