Re: Scanners and OCR

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Mark Mackenzie wrote:

> I intend to buy a scanner, mainly to be used for OCR of journal articles
> (with some b/w pictures), hopefully for less than $AUS250 (arround $A150
> I guess)

 Sadly, the state of OCR under Linux is... immature at best. There
currently is no usable OCR freeware for Linux. (I'd be happy to be proven
wrong, of course, but I've never found any.)

 I think there is a commercial option for Linux OCR, but I'm afraid I
don't have a link. A little patient web searching should turn it up.

> I have had a look at
> http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html
> and the hardware howto, but the later models I am looking at don't seem
> to appear. eg AFGA 1212p

 I'd just ask on sane-devel@mostang.com. They're the ones that know
best.

> Am I looking at doing OCR in Win95 in the short term, or can wine run
> the OCR S/W?

 Sometimes. It depends on the software. If it has an option to read the
data in from a file instead of through a TWAIN scanner, then you can
usually use it under Linux. Sometimes you can even do TWAIN under Wine.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

    "Monkeys would be harder on equipment than college students,
          but only because they're stronger." - Jim Ingles