Re: parallel computing, rsh, and DHCP environment?

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 kvaughan@bc.cc.ca.us wrote:

> OK, but if the addresses change occasionally, then it would still be a mess
> even with setting up a DNS, yes?  (given that the hosts file needs IP
> addresses?)

The suggestion of dynamic dns is probably the best one.  Check out
dhis.org.

> Out of curiosity, do DHCP-administered addresses change only when a lease
> expires without renewal?  (These machines are not allowed to stay up
> constantly.)

If your ip is not in use, the lease has _not_ expired, and there are no
free ip's to give out, a dhcp server may use your ip.  We have a week or
two for our ip here (I guess the client sends a renew request every few
hours so it knows the client is alive).  However, when my ip would change
over the weekend, I could tell they ran out of ip's.  If we aren't short
on ip's, my address will stay for a few months (summer and winter break).

Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.dhis.org/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regularly been broken into, beaten, |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.   |
|                                    -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |