Re: "can't open pseudo-terminal" error with glibc 2.1 (potato)

Collins M.  Ben  (bmc@visi.net) wrote on 9 April 1999 11:18:
 >Then again maybe you could read the docs. You have two choices...

I tried...

 >a) rm -f /dev/ptmx

Ah, I hadn't noticed this in /dev...

 >b) make sure your kernel (2.2.x) is compiled with devpts support
 >   and mount /dev/pts/ (read the kernel docs)

It has. Then I tried mount -t devpts, but ssh continues to say
"couldn't allocate a pseudo-terminal". Strangely, it only happens with
rwin-dows clients, and one AIX one. It doesn't happen with linux.

 >This stems from the fact that glibc 2.1 enables use of Unix98 pty's and if
 >/dev/ptmx is present then glibc expects /dev/pts/ to be mounted.

It seems also that the applications must have support for this, no?
What was /dev/ttyp2 becomes /dev/pts/2, etc. So if the application
doesn't support it, booom...

As I said, even after doing "mount -t devpts" things didn't change.
The problem happens only with ssh, not with telnet. I recompiled ssh
with the new library. Also, after the mount "ls -l /dev/pts" says it
doesn't exist!

Furthermore, I think that the library shouldn't break apps if the
unix98 API isn't being used. Must I remove /dev/ptmx for this to
happen?