Re: Changing root password for sudo?

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, William R Pentney wrote:

> I have changed my root password, and su takes notice, but
> sudo still uses the old password. How can I change the sudo
> root password? Do I edit etc/sudoers?

To use sudo, you don't have to demonstrate that you have permission to act
in some ways as root, that's what the sudoers file is for.  All you have
to do for sudo is prove that you are the person who is in the sudoers
file.  Therefore, the password you enter to use sudo is the one that you
use to access the system, NOT the root level password.  That is, in fact,
the whole point behind sudo:  You can have staff do some
administrative-level tasks without passing out the root password.

I hope that's clear?
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/