Re: Mouse Problems and xdm

> Hi:
>
> I have a couple of problems and I would like to get an opinion from those
> who might have an insite into these issues.
>
> I recently installed Debian 2.1 on my system. I have had Debian 2.0
> previously and wsa very happy with it  but i decided to do a fresh install.
> The installation went well (better than 2.0) but I ran into a problem that
> I am not familiar with - my mouse. I have a Microsoft mouse that plugs into
> my PS2 port (the one that has a S-Video jack). When I ran xf86config, I
> selected the /dev/psaux as my mouse interface device and I know that this
> worked because I can see the mouse when I am in the text mode console (I
> can see the mouse as a block in text mode and
> it works well). Now when I start mt X server, I have no control of my mouse
> - I
> can see it but it is very sensitive that I cannot move it around the normal
> way. It always gets stuck at the upper right hand corner and I have to move
> the pointer with my keyboard keys. Has anyone experienced any such thing?
> (I have a Matrox Millenium II AGP video card - not that it should matter).

Two things come to mind - 1) a messed up mouse resolution, or simpler still
2) the fact that gpm (the text-mode mouse input daemon) was set up for an
intellimouse and X was set up with a regular PS/2 (instead of IMPS/2), or
vice versa -- the exact problem I had when I tried to get DOSEMU to work
under console w/ PS/2 mouse support while at the same time having X set up
to work with the Intelli.

Check both configs -- what does /etc/gpm.conf and the "Pointer" section of
/etc/X11/XF86Config say?

> My second questions (a simple one I presume) is concerning xdm. How do I
> turn it on and off?

As root, /etc/init.d/xdm stop; /etc/init.d/xdm start. If you don't want xdm
to automatically start upon bootup, remove the "S99xdm" sym. links from
/etc/rc?.d.

Hope that helps,

Alan
surak@imsa.edu