Firewall configuration issue

    We recently installed Debian onto a laptop machine, and ran into
some weird IP problems.  When we tried to ping out of the laptop, we
recieved an "Operation not permitted" error.  With help from the
lists, the problem was tracked to the IP Firewalling setup.  It
defaulted to not allowing *any* network traffic.  First of all, I
specifically chose, while setting up modules to be installed for the
Debian kernel, not to install the IP Firewall-related ones.  Does
this mean that the installation program changed my kernel setup
without telling me, to include those necessary modules?
    Second, does it really make sense to have the IP Firewalling
software default to not allowing any IP traffic?  This is a very non-
intuitive default.  It would be helpful, in my mind, to have a notice
somewhere saying "Enabling this package will disable all IP
services until configured otherwise."  Does this make any sense?
    And finally, to satisfy my own curiosity, is this default of
blocking all traffic a Debian-set default or a
kernel/developer/maintainer/historical default?

    Thanks a bunch,
        Chris

 Chris Brown       cbrown@seitz.com         !!! HELP FIGHT SPAM !!!

 Join; www.cauce.org  See; spam.abuse.net, spamsucks.com, www.cm.org