Re: NIC trouble

Ben Messinger wrote:
> I just picked up some cheap used NE2K pci ethernet cards to use for a
> home lan. I installed two in this Linux box since it may become a
> proxy-gateway/firewall for a DSL connection soon.
[cut]
> I made entries in /etc/init.d/network so that it now reads:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add -net 127.0.0.0
> ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 192.168.1.1

Just a thought. Does it work if you change the order of ifconfig
argument? I have noticed that ifconfig can be picky about its
arguments. Try this:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255

> route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
>
> But when the above is executed at boot time it returns the following
> errors:
>
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
>
> The card (eth0) is now listed in the routing table, as well as being
> identified by ifconfig, but I can not pass packets to my other computers
> although I see the light blinking on the card when I try to ping another
> box.
>
> Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

If reordering arguments did not work, what does ifconfig -a
output?

> -Ben

// Heikki

--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland