Help! ddd says: "gdb: cannot open master pty"

Hi,

I'm trying to run ddd on a Debian box, and I get the following message
if I'm not root:

bash-2.01$ ddd
gdb: cannot open master pty: No such file or directory
gdb: communication setup failed

ddd starts, but the gdb prompt never appears. If I'm root, things work
just fine. If I start gdb alone (even as non root), things work also.

The ddd I use is ddd-smotif, and the box is mostly hamm, but as I had
this problem, I thought on updating those packages (ddd and gdb) to
slink, but that did not help.

Any clue?

Thanks,

--
Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella                Computer Engineer
zorzella@iname.com