installing slink and dselect question

So, I installed slink on my machine, and got to the dselect phase.  I
read the docs and ran dselect, and got to the Install phase, whereupon
it took about 20 hours to download all the selected packages, which
seems about right.  I got back to the machine, and it was back to the
dselect main menu, with "Quit dselect" highlighted.  So I did.  And none
of the packages were installed.  Thinking I did something wrong, I ran
dselect again, this time going into the Select phase for some time and
removing large packages that I didn't want and adding packages that I
did want, and then on to the Install phase, and it went just like
before, with nothing installed.  I found the directory where it
downloaded all the package files, they all seem to be there.  What did I
do wrong?  I had no problems or error messages from dselect, except for
a hand full of non-essential packages that failed to download because,
over 20-odd hours, some resets and timeouts will occur.  No big deal
there.

Can I install the packages that were downloaded using some other tool
now?  Has this happened to anyone else?