Re: SCSI problem

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Holtz, Mike   IS wrote:

> Subject: SCSI problem
> 	Trying to install Debian 2.02 and the rescue disk boot system is
> having problems with the aha2940 scsi adapter.
> 	Basically it sees it ok, but at the point where it goes to scan
> for devices it gets the following error:
>
> 		"Parity error during phase Message-In."
>
> 	It then goes into an infinite loop of first trying to reset the
> SCSI bus  timing out.

Mike

I have a 2840 SCSI controller, which, as I understand,
has the same chip set and driver. I find that to get the
boot floppy up, I have to have a kernel that knows about
only the 2940 controller, not all the vast panoply of SCSI
and other controllers. At least I could not get the kernel
on the stock boot floppy to boot successfully.

I replaced the kernel on the boot floppy with my old kernel,
which worked fine. I'll recompile a new, later kernel later,
but that worked enough to get me up.

Maybe someone can tell me the right way to do this.

David Teague dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software should be free and stable.