Re: What do I do with tarballs?

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Stefan Langerman wrote:

> Subject: What do I do with tarballs?
>
> dselect is great, but what do I do when there is no deb package for the
> soft I want? I know of course how to install somethng from a tarball, my
> question is just: where do I do it? Where do I put the package etc. and
> make sure I am not messing up dpkg? Are there any conventions for that?
> Is there any doc that explains that?

I have thought about using alien to create a .deb and then used dpkg to
install it. IF the tarball puts things in the right places, it seems to me
that this should work find. It has the added advantage of my being able to
un-install.

I'd like some feed back about this, as I suspect there is some danger
involved, since there does not appear to be much in the way of controls.

-David Teague dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software should be free and stable.
                 Reboots are for hardware and kernel upgrades.
                 The support is free, fast, useful and correct.