Re: Weird behavior with GNOME - Solved my own weird problem..

I get the same problems with gnome.  I have also got an even
weirder problem that I dont even know how to report.

I had been running Enlightenment 0.15 with some of the gnome
apps from www.debian.org/~jim/debian-gtk-gnome/gnome-stage-slink
unstable main

Everything was working fine, although as below the gnome session
took about 30 - 45 seconds to start up.  But gmc worked very
nicely along with the panel and a few other applets.

Then I tried it out as root (dont know why) and all was working
until it crashed swithching from X to the virtual terminal and
back.  I think this is a seperate bug due to the psaux mouse on
my Dell Laptop (Pentium II 233, 80Mb, 64MB Swap).

After this crash I am unable to run a gnome session as a normal
user (i.e. anyone but root).  I get an error complaining about
permission denied for /tmp/orbit-username where username is the
name of the user I ran X as.

I have checked the permissions of /tmp and they seem to have
changed group to sys, my other slink install (without gnome
upgrades) is root group for /tmp.

I also get a segmentation fault from when I try and run Eterm,
which worked okay before the crash.  Eterm works for root when
running X though.
I guess there must be something wrong with permission setting,
but I definately didnt change anything myself.

Should this be reported as a bug?  If so, against which
package??

SOLVED PROBLEM: I managed to change back the permissions on the
/tmp directory and surprisingly enough things start to work
agian, Nice.  I do wonder what screwed /tmp up in the first
place though.  Everything seems to be working again, but I still
have the errors mentioned below.  I guess it is just life on the
bleeding edge.

John.

William R Pentney wrote:

> My GNOME 1.0 runs all right, except that it takes an unusually long time
> to load, and the Control Center/Midnight Commander panels are slow to
> load. I thought little of this, until I noticed several recurring lines on
> my xconsole, including:
>
> Priority 50: Registering ID = <...>
> Unable to connect to server port 35091
> <sometimes repeated several times>
>
> GnomeUI-WARNING **: Could not open help topics file NULL
>
> Methinks I left something out of my installation, and GNOME is not
> performing as it might. Might I be missing a package? I don't think I have
> all of the GNOME help system.
>
> Thanks - Bill
>
> --
begin:vcard
n:Stevenson;John
tel;fax:+31 20 34 22 820
tel;work:+31 20 34 22 820
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.oa.nl
org:OA Europe
version:2.1
email;internet:John@oa.nl
title:Technical Consultant
adr;quoted-printable:;;Objective Alliance=0D=0AHoghilweg 14L;Amsterdam;Zoud Oust;1101 CD;Nederlands
x-mozilla-cpt:;-11328
fn:John  Stevenson
end:vcard