RE: Loading packages from zip drive

I posted this message on 23 March, and received replies from Helmut
Metzdorf, Santiago Vila Doncel, Bruce Sass, and ANShevin. Thank you for you
help, all of which was useful.

This is how I solved the problem.

1. Throw away the Infomagic CD.
2. Download the base distribution from the Debian ftp site, as per Debian
installation guide.
3. Copy downloaded files from zip drive to dos partition.
4. Install base system from hard disk, as per Debian installation guide.
5. Download required packages from ftp site.
6. Install packages using dpkg -i
package-name-which-is-usually-very-long-indeed-1.23-456-7.deb
7. Repeat 5 & 6 for "required" packages not originally downloaded (d'oh).

The result is a simple, small installation with which I am very happy. I
recommend Debian for those who require a small, simple console-based
installation due to memory and disk-space limitations (or who believe in
function over form).

Well done, and thanks for the help.

Chris