Strange IRQ conflict with pnp soundcard

Hi

I am having trouble getting my sound card (SB 32 PNP) to work using
IRQ=5.  I can get it working okay with IRQ=10 though.

What is kind of wierd (at least for me) is that before I upgraded to
2.2.1, I had it running via IRQ=5.  Also (more importantly?), the
/proc/interrupts has no mention of anything else using IRQ=5.

The only other thing that I am aware of doing is to activate an external
serial port, but it doesn't use IRA=5

I guess my main question is how can there be a conflict if
/proc/interrupts has entry under IRQ 5?

thanks in advance

Richard