vim/ctags problem: Java keywords not highlighted

One more thing that changed at the time of the upgrade...

Vim no longer appears to have ctags functionality.  I have tried
downloading and reinstalling the ctags-exuberant package, and vim-rt
and vim; the installation hasn't fixed this.  Before I upgraded from
hamm to slink, vim colored the keywords etc. when I was editing Java
files; now, it's straight black on white.  I'm using xterm to edit;
ANSI color codes change the screen color just fine.  I can't find
anything that seems germane to this problem in the documentation for
vim or ctags (man or /usr/doc).

Suggestions for where I should look next in my troubleshooting?  (I
also decided to try another language, and wrote a "Hello world!"
program in C.  That didn't have anything highlighted, either.)

	-Jonathan