Re: How do I install Debian?

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, George Bonser wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Johann Spies wrote:
>
> > I feel embarrassed to ask this because I have done it before but now
> > nothing seems to work.
> >
> > I have tried Debian 1.3.1 and Hamm , both from official CD's and with the
> > same problem in both instances.
> >
> > I want to do a new installation on a Pentium 166.
> >
> > My problem is that after the initial reboot I cannot access either the
> > msdos nor the iso9660 filesystems.  I cannot see in the installation
> > script amongst the filesystem-drivers an option to install this.
> >
> > I am a bit desparate an on the point to try out Redhat of which I have an
> > old CD.
>
> > How do I get the new base system to access anything outside its own
> > filesystem?
>
> Log as root and run modconf. In the fs <filesystem> drivers, select what
> you need. iso9660 might be listed as isofs.
>
> In the install process this would be done in the section where you set up
> the system drivers.

Thanks George.

I did not know about modconf.  But when I run it on the newly installed
base system, I get the same limited number of choices amongst the
filesystem drivers of which isofs and msdos are not options.

I get the following options:

bindfmt_aout
ext
hpfs
ncpfs
nfs
a lot of nls_cp???'s (with no comment explaining the module)
a lot of nls_iso8859_ -options (also with no comment)
nls_koi8_4
smbfs
sysv
ufs
umsdos
vfat
xiafs.

There is no msdos and no fat and no isofs.

Is there another way of installing which would ensure that all the
filesystem options are available?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should
      be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become
      angry, for man's anger does not bring about the
      righteous life that God desires."  James 1:19,20