How to open xterm with and a program at once

Christian Dysthe writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > how do I open xterm with a program? Let's say I want an icon on my desktop
 > opening mc or mutt. What would the command be to have an xterm with one of
 > these programs open automatically with xterm?
 >
 > TIA

Just read the xterm manuel with the 'man xterm' command, you'll find
the following option of xterm:

[...]
 -e program [arguments ...]
             This option specifies the program (and  its  command
             line  arguments)  to be run in the xterm window.  It
             also sets the window title and icon name to  be  the
             basename of the program being executed if neither -T
             nor -n are given on the command line.  This must  be
             the last option on the command line.
[...]

--
PARAIN S. Frederic - PhD Student - Projet SOLIDOR
IRISA-INRIA, Campus de Beaulieu, 35042 Rennes cedex, France