Re: Suggestion for change to debian package format

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Mitch Blevins wrote:

> A counter field is totally )#R)   from the Auto flag.  Just because
> a package has no other packages depending on it does not mean that it
> should be removed.  For example, xpilot is an excellent game, and I
> wouldn't want it removed... but nothing depends on it.
> The Auto flag is just a boolean to determine if a package should be
> removed IFF no other packages depend on it.

Maybe I misunderstood the issue. I thought we were talking, almost
exclusively, about libs, since this seems to be the most common case. If a
package is self contained (that is, if it came in 1 (exactly one) package,
it doesn't need the counter or even the Auto flag). Libs seems to be the
target of my idea.

> > But, what if libfoo1 || libfoo2 is need by some other package?
>
> Hmmm... an ambiguous situation if both libfoo1 and libfoo2 have the Auto
> flag set.  I assume that the implementers would either leave both on
> the system, or deinstall one of them on a first-come first-serve basis.

The problem is when a local package needs one of them. The Auto flag
doesn't seems to address this because foo set it to false (nobody need
its; can be removed).

> -Mitch

Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21