Re: Suggestion for change to debian package format

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Mitch Blevins wrote:

> Mark Phillips wrote:
> > [snip nice suggestion]
>
> This has already been discussed and is being addressed in apt.
> Here's how it will work (if I understand correctly):
>
> Apt will keep a boolean flag called 'Auto' for each package installed
> on your system.  'Auto' is short for 'Automatically uninstall this
> package when it is not required anymore because of a dependency'.

What about a counter for the number of packages that depends on it. If the
count is 0, the package can be safely removed. I think this work even for
local packages, since you provide your local package increments the
counter on packages it depends on.

> So, when you install package foo, and apt automatically installs
> libfoo1 and libfoo2 because they are required by foo, then they will
> be marked with the 'Auto' flag.  Later, if you deinstall foo, then apt
> will also deinstall libfoo1 and libfoo2, provided they are no longer
> needed by any other packages.

But, what if libfoo1 || libfoo2 is need by some other package?

[]s,
Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21