Re: Where is "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" on Debian?

Hi again,

guess what I need to know is how do you start programs at boot on a Debian
system. I have tried to put my "soundon* script from OSS in rc.boot and I
get an error message when booting saying:

"cat uses obsolete /proc/pci interface"

It must be a way to load software/scripts in a simple way when booting. Or
isn't it?

On 27-Mar-99 Marek Habersack wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, George Bonser wrote:
>
>> > I am a newbie and do not undestand the init files in Debian yet. I have
>> > tried
>> > to read up on it, but I am still confused.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help me out, please?
>>
>> Debian uses standard System V init files. There is no such thing as rc.d
>> or rc.local in SysV, they come from BSD unix. You can fix the problem
>> partially by creating a /etc/rc.d directory and then under that symlinking
>> /etc/rc1.d to /etc/rc.d/rc1/d and so on for rc1.d through rc6.d as well as
>> init.d.  Then you might create a file called local in /etc/init.d and
>> install it with update-rc.d with a 99 so it gets run last. Then symlink
>> /etc/init.d/local to /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
> Hmm... isn't that a bit overkill? Why don't you just put stuff in
> /etc/rc.boot
> or do cd /etc;mkdir rc.d;ln -sf rc.boot rc.d/rc.local???
>
> marek
>
> --

Regards,
Christian Dysthe