Re: resolv.conf

> >     Also, in Windoze, I don't need to put in the dns search entries. But in linux,
> >
> > I must put them in resolv.conf. Why?
> >

> I have not set up a WindoZe system in quite a while so I may be wrong
> here but I seem to recall that when setting up the dial-up-networking
> I had to put in my ISP's nameservers.  That is why you don't need a
> resolv.conf in windoze.

In windows, the DNS server's address can be requested from the peer during
PPP negotiation, (you dont need to enter DNS address's for most ISP's
anymore) whereas in linux, that particular feature of PPP negotiation is
not available in pppd. (The address can be supplied to the peer, but not
requested).

As my summer project, I implemented this feature into pppd...
It works fine, but I am yet to find a successful way of making use of the
address. At the moment, I just have it printed to the ppp log to prove
that it works. I think I also have it output to the file /tmp/DNS.addr

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                Mulder: Could say the guy was running on empty.