Re: Why can't I force the NIC driver to load???

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Robert W. Mudge Miller wrote:

> My NIC (a Winbond W89C940 type) is not detected at boot time because its
> PCI ID is unknown (as predicted in the Ethernet-HOWTO, Sec 3.4). I am
> running Caldera OpenLinux Lite V1.1, Linux kernel v2.0.29. I am following
> the advice given in the HOWTO to bypass the PCI probing. I enter "linux
> ether=11,0x6100,eth0" at the LILO boot prompt but still no NIC driver gets
> loaded. A computer w/o a NIC is well nigh useless. Any thoughts, anyone?

Use the source, Luke!

Patch the ne.c file to detect the proper PCI ID stuff and then use that
long enough to download a later kernel.  The later kernels detect a larger
assortment of PCI network cards.

If you don't know how to do that, it would probably be faster/easier for
me to go where you are and do it myself, since you're in town and all.
 --
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/